In light of Thanksgiving and the wonderful flavors of fall, I thought I’d share this personal recipe for pumpkin spice bread that is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and sugar free!
I use local honey for an added hint of sweetness, but it’s much more subtle than a cake and has the thicker texture of a bread. My kids love it as is, and enjoy it with a large glass of cinnamon milk. For my husband and me, it is just the right treat with a warm mug of coffee.
Just mix the wet ingredients in one bowl, the dry in another, and put it all together for a quick and easy dessert!
Here are some tips for adding your own personal touch.
- If you prefer a sweeter bread, add 2-4 T honey to the recipe.
- For those that like an added crunch, add 1/4 cup of chopped pecans, walnuts, or pumpkin seeds.
- I personally like the boxed pumpkin puree that comes in 16 oz portions, which is a perfect fit for this recipe. If you use canned pumpkin, however, you will most likely only get 15 oz per can. Don’t bother opening an additional can to make the 16 oz! Just throw in 1/4 c of a mashed banana, and it will work just fine.
- My favorite homemade gluten-free blend for cakes and breads is found in The Allergen-Free Baker’s Handbook. I love this book! Just mix 4 cups brown rice flour, 1 1/3 c potato starch, and 2/3 c tapioca starch for a perfect all-purpose gluten-free flour blend.
- If you’re using a gluten-free blend that already includes xanthum gum like Better Batter, there’s no need to add the 3/4 tsp of xanthum gum to the mix.
- ¼ c coconut oil
- ¼ c organic palm oil shortening or butter
- ½ cup + 2T honey
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 16 oz pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ginger
- 3 c all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp xanthum gum (omit if your blend already contains it)
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees. Grease a 9"x5" loaf pan and sprinkle with the gluten-free flour blend.
- Measure the coconut oil, shortening, honey, and vanilla in a bowl, and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger and mix for an additional minute.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the gluten-free flour blend, baking soda, xanthum gum, salt, and baking powder.
- Add the dry mix slowly to the wet ingredients and mix on low-medium speed until thoroughly combined. The batter will be thick.
- Pour the batter into a loaf pan, and bake for 40 minutes, rotating halfway.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes before serving.