When I went gluten-free 10 years ago, I immediately turned to corn for everything “tacos.” I searched high and low for a good organic option and eventually took to making them myself with organic ground masa. They tasted SO much better and were a lot softer, and they soon became a family staple.
A year ago, however, our son was put on a restrictive diet that did not include corn. Our “Tuesday Taco” days came to an abrupt halt until the day I discovered cassava flour.
The package itself had a recipe for tortillas, and I was thrilled to be able to share it with my family. The tortillas were a bit chewy, but they fit the bill for us until I was ready to do a little experimenting.
After much trial and error, I finally came up with a recipe that we all absolutely loved.
Preparing them with my daughters brought back fond memories of making flour tortillas with my grandmother many, many years ago. These grain-free “flour” tortillas have now become our new family staple, and it’s something we still enjoy each week, even though we are now past our completely grain-free days.
I hope you enjoy them as much as we have.
Add water and avocado oil to the mix and knead with your hands until thoroughly combined. I chose to use avocado oil because of it’s high heat stability. Olive oil can be substituted, but it will change the consistency just a bit.
Form 1-2 inch balls and place in a bowl.
Put a ball in the center of the tortilla press and press down until the tortilla is formed.
Pull it off of the parchment paper, and place onto the griddle. Cook for 1-2 minutes and then flip and cook the other side until done.
When ready, place between a tea towel or in an insulated tortilla warmer.
Serve warm and enjoy!
- 1 cup Cassava Flour
- ¼ cup Coconut Flour
- ¼ cup Almond Flour
- 1 tsp Himalayan Salt
- ¼ cup Avocado Oil
- ⅔ cup Water
- Whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl: cassava flour, coconut flour, almond flour, and salt.
- Add the avocado oil and water to the mix.
- Knead the dough with your hands and then set aside for a few minutes.
- Cure a griddle pan with coconut oil or avocado oil and warm on medium heat.
- Line a tortilla press with parchment paper.
- Form 1.5 inch balls with the dough and press each ball individually in the tortilla press.
- Cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until slightly browned.
- Keep warm in a tortilla warmer or tea towel and enjoy!