Granola is a favorite treat in our household, and it’s something that I discovered was extremely easy to make. It takes just a few simple and wholesome ingredients and about 10 minutes of prep time to put together.
I like to use coconut palm sugar and Rapadura or Sucanat as my sweeteners along with local honey. They add a heartier flavor to the granola and are a bit better for you than refined white sugar, offering some added minerals and less of a sugar spike. The coconut palm sugar is a healthier substitute to brown sugar and Rapadura or Sucanat is sweeter in flavor like sugar. These can easily be substituted as necessary.
The kids enjoy the granola as a hearty cereal with raw milk from our local farmer. They also like it in a bowl with raw milk yogurt or by itself for a tasty, crunchy snack.
Here are the steps for making your own batch. Enjoy!
Pour 4 cups of gluten-free (or regular) oats in a bowl and add 4T Rapadura or Sucanat, 3T coconut palm sugar, 1/4 cup flaxseed meal, 3/4 tsp cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp nutmeg. Whisk gently to mix all of the ingredients together. Take a moment to breathe in the yummy aroma!
In a small saucepan, melt 1/4 cup coconut oil, then add 1/3 cup honey and 3/4 tsp vanilla.
Pour the liquid evenly over the oats mixture.
Mix thoroughly with a spatula.
Spread parchment paper over a cookie sheet and spread the granola in a thin even layer. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 300 degrees.
When ready, allow about 10-15 minutes to cool. Then sprinkle with 1/4 cup raisins (optional) and 1/2 cup nuts (optional). Use a spatula to break up the granola and pour into jars. Serve and enjoy!
- 4 cups gluten-free oats
- 4T Rapadura or Sucanat
- 3T coconut palm sugar
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¾ tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup raisins (optional)
- ½ cup nuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 300 degrees, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk the oats, coconut palm sugar, Rapadura, flaxseed meal, cinnamon, and nutmeg until thoroughly combined.
- In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil, and stir in the honey and vanilla.
- Pour the wet mix evenly over the oats.
- Use a spatula to mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Spread the granola on the cookie sheet in a thin even layer.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Allow at least 10-15 minutes to cool before topping off with raisins and/or nuts.
- Break apart and serve!
Linking up at: Foodie Friday